Old 24-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Andrew G

Default Rejuvenating a lawn ...

"Dion" wrote in message
In my recent weeks of attention to my new garden beds my lawn has
taken a turn for the worse. Its infested by clover and various other
weeds, and is looking very worse for wear.

Any good suggestions for getting it back in shape? I'm considering a
healthy dosage of weed'n'feed type product, then a liberal scattering
of lawn grass seeds to see if I can get something to grow. However I
think the seasons are all wrong for throwing grass seeds about?

Probably wait until August for the weed and feed. The weed will kill those
weeds that are currently there, and while the feed may not help the lawn
along as much if you are in a colder area, it will help the weeds die
quicker.
The amount of weeds suggests the pH could be out. Could try a pH tester and
adjust the lawn if needed to about a reading of 6.8 roughly.
Be careful with weed and feed on Buffalo lawns.

After the above, I'd be looking at a lawn seed suitable to your area to over
sow after the weed and feed.
Perennial Rye Grass seed is good for a"green" look, but isn't drought
tolerant.
Whatever seed you do go for, keep the ground moist once sprouted.
Good luck.

I'm not after champion grade lawn, just something nice, green and
soft. I don't think I really want to go to the expense of laying
turf.