Old 29-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Tomato

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 06:44:22 GMT, Alice Gamewell
wrote:

I grow brandywine and never had problems with it. Not only that, the taste
cannot be beat. I respectfully disagree with Harold Walker. Heirlooms have
been around for many years and have survived all kinds of problems, unlike
hybrids which are touted as being so disease resistant. Besides being around for
years, the taste is delicious, cannot compare it to hybrids.
You will have to experiment to find out what is best for your area and stick to
that.

I grew Brandywines in northern Pennsylvania last summer. We
got exactly *TWO* ripe tomatoes from four Brandywine plants.

I would certainly not recommend them to anyone with cool
nights in summer and/or a short growing season.

I will never try Brandywines here again - unless I have a
greenhouse someday. Even so, I don't think I'd grow them
again, they were a disappointment to me in just about all
ways. I didn't find their taste better than - say - Better
Boy either.

Pat
-- Pat Meadows
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY