Old 24-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default Rose names I'd like to see

"dave weil" wrote:

[repost of a hilarious article on rose names]

I told a friend about "Reichpraesident von Hindenburg."
He thought a moment and told me, "Oh, that's the rose
that lets a more-vigorous rose encroach on its spot in the
garden, and then dies." One of the odder real names
among the roses I've seen available to buy.

Can you imagine any serious breeder naming a rose
"Benson and Hedges Gold" nowadays? (McGredy,
New Zealand, 1979.) Rather a pity.

I especially like "Pomposity": it's funny even if you haven't
heard of "Prosperity," funnier if you have.

More nonsense:

Highway 290 Roadkill (found roses: great possibilites!)
Dale Earnhardt
Yellow Snow (might sound better in French: Neige Jaune?)
Spirochete
Vice-President Spiro Agnew
Miss Monica Lewinsky
Mr. Howard Stern
Bottom, Justice Shallow, Dogberry, and other Shakespeare
characters of that sort
Swiss Bank Account
Ganja
Bob Marley
Grenada Invasion
Chancroid
My Libido
Found it on eBay
Korean Spam
Nigerian Banker
Annulment
Penn and Teller
Ernest and Julio Gallo
Chevy Camaro
Thorny Wee Pink ******* (miniatures have the most
twee names -- stop me before I make a list!)

Mark., enough already