Old 24-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Bryan C. Andregg

Default saffron crocus--anyone ever try growing it here?

In article , Heidi wrote:
I love cooking w/ saffron, however it pains me to purchase the spice in
the grocery store. I am curious to try growing saffron crocus in my
yard for use in cooking. Has anyone ever tried this here? Know any
local nurseries that carry the bulbs?

In the book "Secrets of Saffron" Pat Willard talks about growing crocus on a
small plot in New York City and eventually harvesting it and having a party to
celebrate. As I recall, she didn't grow, and didn't expect to grow, enough to
make more than a couple of dishes, but she had a thouroughly good time.

Bryan C. Andregg Duke University Medical Center
Programmer Dept. of Anesthesiology
p +1 919 684 6201