Old 24-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Bill Freeman

Default Performance & Maintenance on Honda Harmony

"Third" the same opinions. Own an original . . 20+ years old .. .
still running like new. Only repair was the replacement of a stressed out
handle hinge pin .. . with a generic 13mm fine threaded stovebolt. $.79
Go with air blasting the filter inside/out (Honda's recommendation) and the
use of synthetic oil (easier starting in the fall). I've only the 2-bladed
"garden" variety .. . mulches, bails and bags with ease. Blades easily
sharpened with a metal file and/or drill stone. With garden gloves, pull
the spark plug wire, shut off the carb and turn the mower on its side. You
can sharpen the blades each and every time you mow (easier on the mower and
the grass) . .. which you can't do with a riding mower.

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
I second those opinions. I have one too and it's a super machine. I
got a great deal on it at Home Depot about 3 years ago. I'm a pretty
critical guy and I can't find a thing I don't like about it.

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message

Own a Harmony (the original Harmony, not the cheapened-down Harmony II
series). I recommend it with no reservations.

To take your questions in order:

Are they relatively
easy to service at home for the normal gear head?

Not sure what you're looking for -- All I've ever done is change the oil

and
sharpen the blades-- and this is as straighforward as any other mower

I've
seen.

Do all Hondas use the same motors?

No idea, but I doubt it.

With regard to cutting, it's a mulcher type, and I wondered how good a
Honda is? Is their system a farce? Will I need to bag normally?

I wholeheartedly buy into the mulching concept -- it's great for your

lawn
(nutrients stay put rather than being hauled to the dump) and much

cheaper
and easier for you. And as mulching walk-behind's go-- nobody beats

Honda
Harmony. This mower is designed for mulching from the ground-up-- a
specially designed deck and two stacked blades (at least on my model)

make
for excellent results. Most other mulchers are baggers or

side-discharge
mowers with a plug, no other modifications.

The only caveat-- you have to mow reasonably often -- if you like to

see
your grass get up to 5" before you mow it back down to 2", then mulching

is
not for you

I think it has the plastic deck and is self-propelled, but
don't know much more.

The plastic deck also is a great feature -- the dealer I bought it from

hit
a sample hard with a dead-blow hammer and it just made a thud-- no

damage at
all.

If you can pick this up at a sweet deal, definitely go for it. I paid
almost $700 for mine about 3 years ago. I hardly ever use it anymore

since
we moved and I picked up a ZTR Deere tractor. But I can't part with my
Honda because I know nobody'd pay me what I"d want for it...

-Tim