Old 24-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Ted Byers

Default Off the wall question?

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
Rob Halgren wrote:

Wendy wrote:

I have often read about orchid flowers blasting from the gases emitted
from rotting fruit?

So if you have a nice blooming plant, on the coffee table & a bowl of
fruit on the dining table, with one bad apple, would it blast the
flowers?

Almost certainly...

Of course, now I read that to mean that the orchid and the apple are in
different rooms. That is probably not as big of a concern, assuming the
house has sufficient air volume. If they are on the same table, then it
is a really bad idea... *grin*

Unless the living room and dining room are adjacent and relatively open!
Every house I have lived in has had such an arrangement, to the point where
slightly different furnishing arrangements would create the impression of a
single room. And in my present home, my bedroom is as large as the dining
room and living room combined (the former is a bit on the large side and the
latter are rather small). And in every case, the coffee table was only
about three or four metres from the dining table.

It isn't an issue in my current home, though, since my orchids are on the
second floor with me and the dining room is on the first. I dare not put
any plant of value down there since my sister has a cat, which is a terror
to plants and flies, killing every plant put where she can reach it. With
that critter, a plant in bloom would not live long enough for fruit on the
table to blast the flowers. Thanks to it, I have developed an intense
dislike for cats. They're just as bad as tree rats.

Cheers,

Ted