Old 24-07-2003, 06:02 PM
John DeBoo

Default This bug stinks!

Jack1000 wrote:

I think I have stink bugs eating my zuccinis!
They were like little skinny centepedes about 1/2" to an inch long and smelled
real funny when I smooshed them into the hell they deserved.
Is there a good way to kill them without killing yourself? I got down on all
fours for 2 of the plants but I cant be sure I got them all and I got 20 more
squash plants to protect.

Please help me

Jack

My squash bugs (AKA stink bugs) and I have a daily battle. Wet the
plant for about 6 seconds with water (which they dispise) and watch
for them to come running up the stalks, then squish - Peeeeeeuuuuuu!
Also look on the underside of the leaves, especially in the
crotches of the leaf veins for their egg clusters, small patches the
size of a dime at most of little brownish dots(eggs) and squash them
too.
I've successfully used Sevin on them in the past but prefer to whine
and complain about squishing them and them stinking my fingers up,
at least until I get really madG.

From what I've read it seems they inject some substance into the
base of the plants and this is what destroys the fruit and the
plant, so I do the water thing once or twice daily to catch them.
They don't eat the plant, just destroy it. Why did God make such
creatures?