Old 24-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Tim Rowles

Default saffron crocus--anyone ever try growing it here?

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:14:05 GMT, Heidi wrote:

Hi all,

I love cooking w/ saffron, however it pains me to purchase the spice in
the grocery store. I am curious to try growing saffron crocus in my
yard for use in cooking. Has anyone ever tried this here? Know any
local nurseries that carry the bulbs?

Yes, we've grown our own saffron for years, in Orange County. It does
just fine, like most other crocuses.

I rarely buy bulbs locally, since there are number of reputable
discount bulb vendors with excellent prices, such as:

http://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com...RSpV&mv_pc=251
(hope that URL works ok).

At cropping time, just nip the threads, put them between some paper
towels in a dry location, and wait a few weeks. Simple and effective.
Although I have to admit it's my wife who usually remembers to do it
at the right time.

You may find this descriptive information useful:
http://www.crop.cri.nz/psp/broadshe/saffron.htm

WARNING: Do *NOT* plant these anywhere near colchicums, if there's
any danger you could possibly mistake a colchicum for a saffron crocus
and poison yourself -- particularly since a couple of varieties of
colchicums have common names like 'meadow saffron'. Sheesh!

-- Tim