Old 24-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Jim Webster

Default Paying to find non-GE wild corn?

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
Jim Webster wrote:

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
As I said 3 to 14% of hospital admissions result from prescribed drug
adverse effects.

nothing to do with it in this case, a very sick man cannot be expected

to be
able to cope with some drugs.

So you want a greater range in the arsenal. You don't want them getting
disabled by resistance.

utterly irrelevent
he was too weak to take any antibiotic

So they switched to the
antiseptic wash

Which they probably use anyway, linezolid or not?

I suppose they will claim linezolid is no worse than any other, but it

is
better to have more in the arsenal isn't it? Then say do genetic

testing
and do not prescribe by trial and error. Try not to eliminate your

choices
by feeding everybody with GM antibiotic resistance genes, especially

when
we know that DNA is not fully deactivated by digestion, and is also
getting to the unborn.

what total twaddle. As bacteria have far more antibiotic resistant genes
than GM crops,

They bacteria may have a few more types, if they have been selected by
anitbiotics, but the crop has it in every cell, so far
more altogether, and constantly present.

no, start thinking carefully
all food has bacteria so you eat it with every meal. Each meal with contain
bacteria resistant to antibiotics we haven't even developed yet but are used
in nature, bacteria resistant to antibiotics that are so old that they are
no longer used and bacteria more resistant than their fellows to heavy
metals, UV, and for all I know tedium.
With GM, firstly not every meal contains GM DNA, as opposed to every meal
which does contain GM DNA, and the GM is far more restricted in its
resistance.

and vastly more bacteria are ingested and digested that GM
food, (as everyone swallows bacteria)

Now from North America the corn is grown patch work in fields and all is
mixed. So unless North Americans go to special trouble to get non-GM they
will be getting an antibiotic resistance gene every second cell of that
food they eat. Same with soy.

then any antibiotic resistant transfer
occuring through the mechanism you suggest will be happening constantly

and
at a high frequency now

I suggested the gene packages jumping from the GM food to bacteria, yes.
You say it will be happening at a high frequency now,

and any GM addition will be a trivial irrelevence.

you say. I and several others say we do not want any GM addition we want
the whole GM contribution brought right back to zero.

tough,

you have two choices.

pay enough to make growing conventional worth while

or

eat GM

choice is entirely yours

Jim Webster