Old 24-07-2003, 09:02 PM
dave weil

Default More on Sevin and Japanese beetles

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:14:27 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

Anne Lurie wrote:

Also, Dave, I misquoted you about the foliar applications; you said they
should be limited to 5, but I typed 4 in my post. I'm still trying to
figure out which is worst: not being able to A) type; B) read; or C) count

Not being able to count comes in handy with roses. "But I *only* have
five roses. I need more." "What do you mean honey that you counted
sixteen?" "I'm supposed to use *two* hands and my toes?"

I still can't bring myself to use Sevin. I wish I could because some of
my roses would love me for it. I just can't bear the thought of
possibly hurting the resident toads, nesting bluebirds and their babies,
or the beneficial insects. *sigh* I don't feel anywhere near as guilty
when I spray orthenex.

Susan,

I can see your reluctance to wreck havok on toads and other
beneficials.

Me, I don't have any toads to worry about, but I do worry about the
butterflies. However, the incredible damage that the beetles do to my
plants overrides that concern. Hopefully, the butterflies remain fine,
since they usually just hang out at the zinnias.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu