Old 24-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Shea

Default Two questions from a rank beginner

Thanks for answering the next question I was composing in my head all day
today. I just don't think it has been getting the light it needs indoors
this summer. We have been getting an awful lot of rain here in the Tampa
area, and many of the days have only a few hours of sun, mostly in early
morning, so the phal may be getting some light, but not as much as it
probably should. I've been thinking of moving it to a spot close to the
house near the northeast corner, which would only get sun for a couple of
hours, and then, as you pointed out, filtered through the screen. And as
for humidity......right now it is 94%. And since the temp at night won't be
in the 50s until sometime in November, we should be in good shape for some
time to come. I will move it today.

"Myrmecodia" wrote in message
om...
"Shea" wrote in message

.com...
This is great information. Thanks so much. I'll move the phal closer

the light. The coffee table is about 6 ft. from the sliding doors, but
since the doors lead to a covered screened porch, you are probably right
about the light. Also, it has been a crummy summer sunshine-wise.

If you have a covered, screened porch, I would move the Phalaenopsis
out there. Just put it on the side of the porch that gets the least
direct sun. IIRC insect netting acts roughly like 50% shade cloth,
but even so, direct sun will be too much for a Phal. The Phalaenopsis
will greatly appreciate the increased humidity outdoors at this time
of year, and you may see much better root growth. If you leave it out
in the porch until night temperatures start to drop into the 50's this
autumn, you may well get better flower production next year.

Nick