Old 24-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Alan Gould

Default Banned Herbicides & Pesticides

In article , anton
writes
Furthermore, this hysterical use of 'poisons' doesn't produce
clear thinking. There's been a recent urg thread on tipping
'poisons' on compost heaps, and the 50ft high object in the
corner of my garden will rain 'poisons' over a large area in
a few months time. Urine and oak leaves.

Thanks for that perceptive observation Anton. There has often been a
distinct lack of clear thinking in urg when the comparative merits of
chemical and organic gardening are under discussion.

The recent 'ban' on some chemicals popularly used in gardening is not
being introduced out of any support for organic methods, but on safety
grounds. In the past, many chemicals have been similarly banned e.g.
aldrin and dieldrin to name but two, but the effect was to encourage the
introduction of other chemicals in their place. There is an ongoing
demand for such products by gardeners who choose that style of
gardening, and commercial interests see that the demand is met.

A lifetime of organic gardening without using manufactured chemicals
proves to me that they are not necessary. We currently garden two acres
at age 75+70 and we could not cope with all the problems brought about
by chemical gardening. Neither do we wish to eat garden food grown that
way. Anyone who would like to know more is invited to read the urg FAQ
on organic gardening at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFA...gardening.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.