Old 24-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Michael Saunby

Default It makes me CROSS!!!

"Essjay001" wrote in message
Ben wrote:

Fair enough being cross if this particular hedge was not
inconveniencing anyone, but where I used to live I spent half my
journey to work walking along the road because one gardener after
another allowed their trees and shrubs (not hedges) to completely
block the pavement. I wish the council had told them to cut back a
bit!

Complain to the council, it is their responsibility to keep the pathways
clear. They should write to the owners telling them to cut their
hedges/trees

But does the owner have to cut them? Out here in rural West Devon the
council cut the hedges, I really can't imagine the sense in doing things
any other way. All the likely legal fees, letters sent and ignored,
knocking on doors, etc. Surely the council cut roadside verges, so why not
the hedges? Clearly (sub)urban Britain has some very strange customs.

Granted some folks might not want their hedges cut with a tractor mounted
flail, but surely that's just a technical matter for homeowners to agree
with the council.

Michael Saunby