Old 24-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Rusty Hinge

Default Fairy Ring .....Help !!!!! please

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:
In article , Rusty Hinge
writes
Most of which are either harmless or edible, though C. rivulosa is
deadly. Personally though, I can't see how anyone who knows M. oreades
could possibly confuse the two, despite many good handbooks warning of
the possibility. (I've been eating M.oreades since 1950 or thereabouts,
and I think I'm still alive.)

Well, that's the key, isn't it?
anyone who knows M. oreades

- we're talking here about someone who isn't quite sure whether or not
it is a fairy ring mushroom, and who probably couldn't tell their
Boletus from their Agaricus ;-)

/\
You will note that / \ up there somewhere I said to make sure they were
M. oreades, and ¯||¯ further, mentioned the availability of
handbooks. My first trial was using Dr. John Ramsbottom's excellent Book
in the New Naturalist series, Mushrooms and Toadstools (which I chose as
a prize at school).

Nowadays I would recommend Roger Phillips' book 'Mushrooms and Other
Fungi of Great Britain and Europe', (Macmillan), ISBN 0 330 26441 9

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.