Old 24-07-2003, 11:05 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Deer deterrent

"Malcolm" wrote in message ...
Can anyone recommend a deer deterrent?

You may have seen in GardenCentres Japanese bamboo water features that fill
with water and then tip over to bang on a rock and let the water out, then
they pivot back up and the cycle starts again. These are actually Japanese
deer scarers. The rhythmic banging is said to frighten them away.
I have also heard that an empty plastic bottle upturned over a bamboo cane
which is then pushed into the soil at a slight angle works too, and on the
same principle, the wind will make it rattle on the cane. We actually use
them as bird scarers on the allotments in combination with hanging AOL
cd-roms.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.