Old 25-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Henry

Default More on Sevin and Japanese beetles

dave weil wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, "Susan H. Simko" wrote:

I still can't bring myself to use Sevin. I wish I could because
some of my roses would love me for it. I just can't bear the
thought of possibly hurting the resident toads, nesting bluebirds
and their babies, or the beneficial insects. *sigh* I don't
feel anywhere near as guilty when I spray orthenex.

I can see your reluctance to wreck havok on toads and other
beneficials.

Me, I don't have any toads to worry about, but I do worry about the
butterflies. However, the incredible damage that the beetles do to my
plants overrides that concern. Hopefully, the butterflies remain fine,
since they usually just hang out at the zinnias.

Sevin is considerably more toxic to invertebrates than to vertebrates
who break it down and excrete it pretty quickly. Beneficial insects are
certainly affected but you probably won't decimate the toad or bluebird
population too drastically if you use it with restraint.

--
Henry