Old 25-07-2003, 02:02 AM
zookeeper

Default Can pond water make a dog/cat sick?

dkat wrote:
Someone I know just tore out their preformed pond because they
thought their dog got sick from drinking the water (I'm not
complaining since I now have a new pond...I just have to
decide where to put it and start digging). Does anyone know
if this is possible? DK

We have giardia in Oregon. It's carried by birds and wildlife, and since
both (herons, ducks, scrub and blue jays, raccoons, squirrels, and the
neighbor's feral cats) visit our pond, I've long considered it a
possibility in our pond. All of our dogs get sick each spring with
giardia like symptoms, but recover within a week or so. Now that I've
finally found a local outlet for PP, I'll dose the pond each spring and
maybe the dogs won't have the "spring trots."
--
Kathy B