Old 25-07-2003, 08:02 AM
Roy Bailey

Default Runner beans

In article , nma
pson.co.uk writes
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:22:32 +0100, Roy Bailey
wrote:
~
~For many years I have grown 'Enorma', which is a highly recommended
~runner bean for flavour if the pods are not allowed to get too big. We
~normally pick them at about 6 inches long.
~
~Sadly this year they have been a disappointment, but this is down to
~vermin attacking the plants after they have been planted out, rather
~than any shortcomings of the variety.

I'll second that - I grow Enorma and lost a lot last year (slugs got
all the leaves below about 2' off the ground) and this year took a
slightly different approach by a) sowing indoors, but later (May 6th
as against April 17th) b) putting them out when smaller but
well-hardened off so they grew tougher and c) combining them with
sweet peas to provide an extra barrier as well as bee-attractor. They
are just starting to crop really heavily :-)

I sow mine quite early in deep boxes outside and transplant them into
the final rows. I think it was pigeons that had mine this year.

Baked buttered marrow and runners for Sunday lunch this week with
homegrown new potatoes... yum.

Yum indeed. We are having some delicious courgettes, Red Epicure broad
beans and Maris Bard potatoes.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.