Old 25-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Frogleg

Default First-timer results...

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:30:48 -0400, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

I was thinking that if you can protect that baker's rack a bit and the
pots, you may get enough heat-sink effect with the stone(?) side of
the house and brick patio to keep those perennial herbs going. Sage
and thyme (was that thyme?) are perennials. If the thyme is oregano,
then that is also perennial. My late lamented rosemary bush survived
for years against a SW-facing red brick wall through a number of harsh
winters.

Actually that is an interesting idea. I actually have room to bring
some stuff inside, but the baker's rack could work. It is Thyme. There
is also some parsley and dill in there (hidden behind the pepper).
I've got a bowl with oregano, thyme and parsley. I could relocate that
to the rack.

I've re-thunk the rack. You probably want those plants nestling close
together and the pots heavily mulched. Maybe all on bottom shelf with
straw stuffed around. Same spot -- sun and heat-sink -- but wrapped up
warm with the pots as little exposed to wind and weather as possible
Things in pots are more vulnerable than things in the ground. Dill
(and basil) is an annual. Parsley is a biennial, and pretty hardy. You
usually want to treat it as an annual and start new plants each year,
because the 2nd year, when they flower and go to seed (giving you a
lifetime supply), the leaves are less useful, but you *can* have a
little nice fresh parsley over the winter. Oregano, sage, and thyme
are perennials if conditions are right. I searched on "sage herb
hardiness" (without the quotes) and came up with a number of useful
references. What zone are you? Looks as if thyme, oregano, parsley,
and possibly sage are good candidates. Rosemary would definitely need
to be brought indoors. When you achieve a rosemary. :-)