Old 25-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default More on Sevin and Japanese beetles

Henry wrote:

Sevin is considerably more toxic to invertebrates than to vertebrates
who break it down and excrete it pretty quickly. Beneficial insects are
certainly affected but you probably won't decimate the toad or bluebird
population too drastically if you use it with restraint.

That's a little too controversial in my opinion. There has been some
evidence of possible vertebrate kills from ingesting inverterbrates that
have consumed Sevin. Since my bluebirds are insectivores and heavily
feeding right now due to their babies, I just don't want to risk it. JB
season appears to be slowing down. Certain roses (blue girls) have been
decimated but as long as I can keep the s.o. from dusting the pussy
willow (my JB sacrificial plant) with diatomaceous earth, the JBs seem
to prefer that to most of my other roses.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu