Old 25-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Essjay001

Default It makes me CROSS!!!

Michael Saunby wrote:

But does the owner have to cut them?

Yes he does, a house holder can do more or less what he likes within the
bounds of his own property, however once his hedge /shrub stsrts to imping
on the pavement he is then blocking a public right of way. If a pedestrian
has to walk in the road because of the overgrowth from a domestic property
and gets knocked down by a passing car who is he going to blame and more
importantly who is he going to sue.

Out here in rural West Devon the council cut the hedges,

Do we need to make a distinction here between domestic hedges and hedgerows.
Certainly here in Wilts it took me about 18 months to get the authorities to
cut a domestic hedge that overhung a 6' foot path by 5'.

I really can't imagine the sense in doing things any other way.

Why should the council cut domestic hedges? Why should a guy who doesn't
have a hedge have to pay in his coulcil tax for someone who is too lazy to
do it himself?

All the likely legal fees, letters sent and ignored, knocking on doors,

etc.

A court case ususlly sorts out the 'negligent hedge owner

Surely the council cut roadside verges, so why not the hedges?

Hedgerows yes but not hedges and shrubs in private gardens

Clearly (sub)urban Britain has some very strange customs.

No not really just some very lazy people

Granted some folks might not want their hedges cut with a tractor
mounted flail, but surely that's just a technical matter for
homeowners to agree with the council.

You have obviously never had your windscreen broken by the debris from a
flail.
Jusy imagine a 'normal' domestic street, and the put a flail in the picture.
Apart from the debris all over the road, broken windows injured people, dead
cats etc etc. Absolute bloody nightmare.

I don't for one minute believe that the council comes round to cut peoples
privet, leylandii, beech or any other private hedge, but if this is true,
someone should take the council to court for mis-appropriation of taxes

Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.