Old 25-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Dying Koi: Can You Help?

BGD (Bacterial Gill Disease) is a, well, bacterial infection. If the fish
become stressed or their health is compromised, they're open to infection. I
did a lot of reading on it when John's fish broke with it, but I don't know
where its origination point would be. It may have come in with his new fish.
It may have just been there. Your fish have been in residence for quite a
few years: I think they'll be OK. But I'll see if I can find an answer for
you.

Lee

"Nedra" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
John and Lee, Is BGD something I need to worry about
with my fish pond full of koi? They have all been in this
pond all their lives and no fish have been added. None are
sick ... but do I need to worry about this awful disease?

Nedra

"johnrutz" wrote in message

Lee Brouillet wrote:
The only time I had a fish loss (my first year), it was the largest

fish
that died. I was leaving for work, and my two biggest koi were

floating.
had an algae outbreak at the time (and other problems that aren't

pertinent
to your problem). Oxygen deprivation will kill the largest to the

smallest,
but you will find them floating in the morning with nothing to give

prior
warning.

There are several "new things" in the koi world that will kill them:

KHV
(Koi Herpes Virus) and SVC (Spring Viremia of Carp). Not to mention

the
bout
with BGD (Bacterial Gill Disease) that John Rutz just went through

that
has
decimated his collection. The fact that your fish died slowly is

indicative
of a disease, not oxygen deprivation. I'm sure you've seen the mantra

here
about quarantine, and this is why. It's time consuming, but it's worth

it to
prevent the loss of your current pets.

Taking a big step into nowhere, I would venture to say that the first

batch
of new fish were infected: they died first. The resident fish were
incubating. You mention that they looked fine externally, but that

their
eyes looked "funny". "Funny" how - bulging or sunken?

Symptoms of SVC can include: bulging eyes, abdominal swelling, bloody

mucus
from the vent, spider-web or skin hemorraging.

Symptoms of KHV can include: head down swimming, lethargy and

weakness,
sunken eyes, gill lesions, sandpaper skin or a stringy slime coat,

bloody
sores.

Not all of the symptoms need to be present: the above are

"indications".
You
didn't mention checking the gills: their condition will go a long way
towards diagnosis.

The incubating fish gave it to the new arrivals. To date, I haven't

heard of
goldies contracting the diseases, but I've been concentrating my

learning
curve towards koi, as that's what I have. I don't know if goldies can

be
passive carriers, though.

Bugs dying of CO2 died from oxygen deprivation; I don't think they

would
poison the fish. Contaminents from the yard were eliminated (you said

you
don't use poisons). From my understanding, earthworms are pretty

primitive,
and if they were sick or toxic, they would die pretty quickly. NEVER

feed a
dead earthworm to the fish, but live ones are safe (or they'd be

dead!).
Most airborne poisons would have done in your goldies, too.

If your water parameters were in shape, and your pond does not suffer

from
oxygen deprivation (airstones are NEVER a bad idea!), I'd say you were

victim to one of the above diseases. Please set up a quarantine tank:

it's
much less painful than losing pets. The days of purchasing fish and

turning
them loose in your pond are gone: the spectres of KHV and SVC are

REAL.
Reports of these diseases used to be "isolated" a year or two ago; it

is
now
estimated that 50% of the breeders have been exposed. And it's growing
geometrically.

If there is anything else I can help with, please let me know.

Lee

I'll add a couple of the signs of BGD are laying on the bottom and
upon examination mucus on the gill plates

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at: