Old 25-07-2003, 05:42 PM
A.Malhotra

Default can I still plant?

pcb wrote:

I'm new to this group and to the UK. We've just had the garden enclosed
with trellising and wire so that our cats can go outside but not leave
the property (Unfortunately one of the cats was hit by a car and killed
instantly last month so we decided to do this). I'd like to plant some
climbers to soften the appearance of the garden and cover the wire.

We're located in the suburbs of London and the garden is pretty much
sheltered. Is it too late in the season to plant now? Should I just
wait until next spring? Any advice on what to plant? It can't be
anything too heavy so wisteria is out. I was thinking jasmine and
perhaps some variegated ivy.

Autumn is a good time to plant. there are lots of interesting climbers: we
have c 20 varieties of honeysuckle, c 10 clematis and several jasmine, plus
golden hops and climbing/rambling roses (the roses have the added advantage
of discourgaing cats from jumping up: in our case intended to keep them
out, it works pretty well at that and I'm sure it would work just as well
at keeping them in. Some of them are very vigorous (eg Kiftsgate, Rambling
rector) and will cover a large area of wall. They work well mixed together
too, and the scent is a bonus. A lot more interesting than ivy!
Anita