Old 25-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Watering question

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:26:33 GMT, "Lattés"
wrote:

I love container gardening.

Pat

Which brings up the question, what are the advantages and disadvantages to
container gardening.

One disadvantage: you do need to water much more often.
OTOH, little of the water is wasted - all goes to the plants
you're growing (except for the little bit that runs out the
drain holes).

Another: you need to have some kind of containers, and
something to fill them with - top soil mixed with peat, or
soil-less mix, or (as in my case) spent-mushroom-soil, etc.
If you use a soil-less mix or a low-nitrogen soil, you'd
obviously need to feed the plants as well.

Those are the only disadvantages I can think of.

Everything I've grown in containers has done wonderfully and
been very easy to tend. Almost no weeding necessary, the
plants have grown vigorously and been super-productive.

If you need to cover the plants with floating row cover
(cabbage butterflies, etc.), you can easily do so by making
a cage of chicken wire and covering that with the row cover.
Or by just draping the row cover directly over the plants.
Chicken-wire cages can also support shade-cloth for lettuce
in hot weather.

Pat