Old 25-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Andrew Burgess

Default Help choosing a pump for my new pond....

"Mickey" writes:

Sequence makes a very energy efficient pump. It will cost more but the
3800GPH pump I bought uses the same or less electricity then the Beckett 535
gph pump I bought originally.They do sell smaller sizes that use even less
electricity. Also don't forget to figure in plumbing when calculating pump
size needed. 90 degree elbows create a lot of static head. I think it is
something like a foot of head for every elbow? So if you have 2 foot for the
falls and a couple of elbows getting it there that is 4 feet.

Its measured in equivalent feet of pipe not head and depends on the
fitting size. See:

http://www.mdminc.com/friction_loss_chart.htm or
http://www.webspace4me.net/~mikehill...formulae2.html
(these two give slightly different numbers...)

So for example a 2" elbow is equivalent to 6 feet of 2" pipe. The actual head
depends on the flow rate. At 1800 gph the elbow adds about an inch of head.