Old 25-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

Default Penstemons

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote
in message ...
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:25:10 +0100, Emrys Davies wrote:

PS: The art of taking most cuttings is to replace the moisture

loss
which they experience when severed from the mother plant. In such
circumstances humans are given a drip.

Thin transparent plastic bags are a great way of preventing
desiccation of cuttings *but* you must open them and air them if
excessive condensation forms inside the bag. Cuttings should be
humid not wet.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Rodger,

That's exactly how I treat my penstemon cuttings (and all others).
Once the cutting is set in a mixture of compost and vermiculite (or
perlite) I spray it well, cover with a thin plastic bag, and then
virtually no more water at all. Too much water is a killer. No
danger of rot this way and a very high success rate. Penstemons root
very quickly like this and I take them at any time from early summer
to late autumn. There is no one way to achieve success. I think we
each find a way that works for us, but for me the plastic bag is
essential.

Regards
Iris McCanna