Old 25-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Eric Schreiber

Default Threadfin Rainbows & Planted Tank

"Cam" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I live in South Africa dood, decent varieties of
fish are few and far between. I have read articles and seen pics of Siamese
Algae Eaters but have never seen a live one!

Ah, yes, that would be a problem

I also hear that SAE's can get nasty once they're a bit bigger.

That may be, I don't know. Mine are fairly small yet (around 5 cm).
While they are very active fish, I haven't seen any indication of
aggressive behavior towards the other fish.

Apparenly I need to add MORE ferts in order for the plants to take up the
excess phosphates. Am i understanding this correctly?

Probably. The trick with plants is to strike the right balance of
nutrients, and it takes some experimenting to get it right - every
tank is different. My tank has been running for 8 months now, and the
first six were a plant and algae disaster. For me, the thing that did
the trick was adding potassium.

Any suggestions, anyone. Is this tank still salvagable?

I'm sure it can be salvaged if you're patient. Tell us more about your
tank... what kinds of plants, how much light, are you adding CO2, what
are your water parameters, that sort of thing.

--
www.ericschreiber.com