Old 25-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Kay Easton

Default It makes me CROSS!!!

In article , Michael Saunby
writes

But where did this custom of keeping (someone else's) pavement clear? It
seems at odd with all other similar practices. Even removing dog shit,
litter, etc. from pavements isn't the responsibility of the person the
other side of the hedge.

When I was young, everyone accepted it as their responsibility to clear
the snow from the pavement outside their house. With our increasingly
litigious society, this practice has died, one the logic that if someone
slips in the snow and breaks their leg it is an 'act of God' whereas if
you sweep the snow, but inadvertently leave a damp area that freezes
overnight into a sheet of ice, and someone slips on that, they can sue
you for causing the problem. Don't know whether this is true, but it
seems to be widely believed.

What about council tenants - who cuts their hedges?

the tenants.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: