Old 25-07-2003, 10:02 PM
SugarChile

Default Gladiolas

Not a good one 8-). You can try planting them a little deeper, and piling a
loose mulch, like straw, around them once they are up and growing. You can
grow them in-between tall bushy perennials that will give them some support.
Or you can grow them in row and run sticks-and-twine along the rows, instead
of staking them individually.

I grow mine in front of a row of cannas, which support them in the back, and
run some twine along the front. They still sometimes flop sideways, but as
I'm growing them mainly for cut flowers I don't worry about it too much.

There seem to be some variables involved--rain, soil fertility, bulb
variety, etc, but I don't have any details.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"NC_FUBAR" wrote in message
Our Gladiolas tend to get tall (about 4 or 5 foot) and fall over on
the ground while blooming. Is there a solution to this besides
staking them?

Lee