Old 25-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Dave Sheehy

Default Den. pendulum

Gene,

Gene Schurg ) wrote:
: Dave,

: I wish I could tell you. I got mine last February. It's growing great with
: several new canes but hasn't flowered yet.

I got mine last August. The website said it would take 2-5 years before
blooming but mine is in bloom now and I am obviously happy about that. The
flowers are gradually flatteing out but I think they'll be almost be done
by the time they really get flat but we'll see. This is a new species for
me so I'm not familiar with it's behavior yet. It's only grown one new cane
since I got it but the two leaved canes it had initially have grown out alot.
Harry at Andy's Orchids said this would be one of the harder plants for me
to grow in my conditions but so far it's been fairly easy which is
reassuring.

Dave

: "Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
: ...
: Gene Schurg ) wrote:
: : One final option would be just to hang the basket from a hook and
: eventually
: : the growths will get heavy and hang down. I have a Den sulawensience
: that
: : is growing in a 4 inch pot. I just sat the pot in a vanda basket. As
: the
: : canes get long and heavy I take a twist tie and lash it to one of the
: wire
: : hanger legs so it sticks out over the edge of the basket.
:
: Gene, I have a question for you. I have a Den sulawensience that I got
: from
: Andy's Orchids. Andy's claims that the flowers are very flat when they
: open
: but mine are more trumpet shaped. So, what shape are the flowers for your
: plant? I wonder if I'm doing something culture-wise or if it's just the
: nature of the beast (err... plant).
:
: TIA,
: