Old 25-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Butterfly Bush that doesn't work ???

(Steve Harris) wrote in message ...
In article ,

(anne) wrote:

Do they lay the eggs in the soil close to brassicas or actually on
them?

On the leaves. Usually the underside.

And then they hatch out into nice green caterpillars which eat right
through your brassicas and leave piles of green shit between the
leaves. Just about the only things for which I normally use sprays:
I've tried finger-and-thumb work, but couldn't keep up. (Picture the
scene one heat-wave year when the neighbours drove up when I was
crushing cabbage white eggs and larvae dressed only in sandals and a
Panama hat! Me, not the grubs. Oh, all right, don't picture it: I
don't blame you.) A commercial friend gave me some biological control
one year, and it worked well, but I couldn't afford it another time.

Mike.