Old 26-07-2003, 12:02 AM
simy1

Default Moving asparagus

WCD wrote in message ...
I'm starting work on a kitchen garden for my new place in Maine. There
is a pretty good lot of asparagus already growing there, but it isn't in
a place where I want it to be.

Is it safe to transplant it to where I want it, or should I just find a
way to live with it as it is? I can afford to wait a few years for it to
recover if need be.

Thanks.

Pros:

1) asparagus will transplant well in the fall after first frost

Cons:

1) lots and lots of work to dig up those rhizomes
2) lots and lots of work to make a new bed
3) asparagus in full sun interplants well with a number of vegetables,
so if you thought of putting vegetables there, at least lettuce or
chard will grow in between your asparagus
4) It will take a while to clear the bed of remnant asparagus crowns