Old 26-07-2003, 03:14 AM
kimsr kimsr is offline
Registered User

Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Topdressing to fix dog damage?

Hello everyone -

We have two young dogs (7 months), one of which is a real Mr Destructo in the garden. He digs in the lawn and just killed a large climbing plant by chewing through the stem. Not good.

The main problem we've got right now is that he damaged a large patch in the middle of the lawn by chewing the buffalo grass. Apparently, all of those criss-crossing runners are fascinating to a Jack Russell. He doesn't seem to be doing it anymore, but I've got this 15 square metre patch that is basically bare runners. They are still green and trying to shoot, but not really getting anywhere (plus it is late winter here).

I have just topdressed the entire area with a good soil mix, thinking that they may not be coming back very well because they aren't really in much soil at the moment - more just a tangle on top of the soil.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Does anyone have any suggestions?

My husband isn't into gardening and I am. Unfortunately, it is HIS dog doing all the damage!! Please help before I start contemplating dogicide.