Old 26-07-2003, 04:22 AM
EvelynMcH

Default Pruning oregano (and other herbs)

I have a Purple Ruffles Basil that I bought more for the garden and than
the kitchen, it just started blooming. Can I just deadhead the flowers?

Deadhead them at the point where the last set of true leaves are attached to
the stem. If you aren't going to use it as an herb, you might want to
selectively remove only some of the stalks; then let them bloom on another stem
of the plant when the first flowers are finished. Most basil will keep
flowering, with some encouragement, once it starts as long as you remove the
spent flower stalks before they go to seed.

-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein