Old 26-07-2003, 08:03 AM
Larry Stoter

Default Large mulberry tree to buy?

Paul Kelly wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
o.uk...
Janet Tweedy wrote:
For anybody who wants to sample ......... Hatfield House (~20 miles N of

London) gardens have 4 large, old mulberries. Around about now, they
have pounds of fruit. The branches come down sufficiently low that it is
not obvious you are stuffing yourself. Although, the dark red lips and
generally sticky appearance can attract some odd looks ......

the playing field opposite my house has a mulberry dating form the time of
the abortive attempt to develop a native silk trade. Wonderfully old and
tactile tree - with mulberries just come to full ripeness!

pk

Most old black mulberries in the UK date from this attempt - by Charles
II, I believe. I think that he contributed quite a large sum of money to
subsidise the plantings and many thousands of trees were planted,
mainly, I would guess in SE England and E Anglia.

A pity that silk moth caterpillars only eat white mulberry leaves .....

An early example of misunderstanding which I fear has only got worse.
--
Larry Stoter