Old 26-07-2003, 10:22 AM
David Rance

Default It makes me CROSS!!!

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Ophelia wrote:

Also you DON'T get any free plastic carrier bags ............. unless
you pay heavily for them (pollution) everyone brings thier own
re-useable bags ............

In France that's only true at Leclerc's. All the other supermarkets give
away masses of plastic bags.

Well you certainly don't get free bags in Germany

I think I would expect that. The Germans have always been more
environmentally conscious than much of Western Europe. For instance,
they've been recycling paper for longer than I can remember.

However in the last five or six years the French have started providing
recycling depots in almost every commune - *and* they have bins in the
supermarkets for dead batteries. As someone else said, we are lagging
behind in this country, plus the fact that we still can't work out what
substances are banned in the garden!

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |