Old 26-07-2003, 11:02 AM
JennyC

Default can I still plant?

"pcb" wrote in message
I'm new to this group and to the UK. We've just had the garden

enclosed
with trellising and wire so that our cats can go outside but not

leave
the property (Unfortunately one of the cats was hit by a car and

killed
instantly last month so we decided to do this). I'd like to plant

some
climbers to soften the appearance of the garden and cover the wire.

We're located in the suburbs of London and the garden is pretty much
sheltered. Is it too late in the season to plant now? Should I

just
wait until next spring? Any advice on what to plant? It can't be
anything too heavy so wisteria is out. I was thinking jasmine and
perhaps some variegated ivy.

thanks
pcb

Passion flower - Passiflora caerulea - might be a good choice and
should be hardy in London. You should easily be able to get one at
this time of year. Might be in the houseplant section but they can go
outside in a sunny spot.
Mine survive temperatures down to -15 in the inner city :~))

Jenny