Old 26-07-2003, 02:32 PM
White Monkey

Default Off the wall question?

It isn't an issue in my current home, though, since my orchids are on the
second floor with me and the dining room is on the first. I dare not put
any plant of value down there since my sister has a cat, which is a

terror
to plants and flies, killing every plant put where she can reach it.

A friend of mine had a cat that would attack her cacti of many sorts. She
had to seal the rarer ones in a case and put wire around the others,
otherwise every time she left the room she'd come back to find the cat
sidling up on a cactus with a look of intense hate, and if she went out,
she'd come home to find overturned pots and carnage, and a cat in need of
yet another harrowing trip to the vet. It didn't do it with other plants,
and it did not appear to consider this fun; it really seemed to just plain
hate cacti with a passion, and feel it was on some sort of mission to
eliminate them.

My little cat SCSI is preternaturally well-behaved, but did become
entranced enough with one of the new phal.'s to knock a flower off while we
were out. She's the only cat I've ever had that's smart enough to remember
to connect the flower with an earlier action, so she WAS punished, and now
I catch her sitting as far toward the flowers as she can without putting a
foot on the table (the Big No-No) staring at them rapturously, now and then
emitting a little squeak. She hasn't touched them again in 3 weeks. She has
a fascination with flowers, and every now and then upsets a vase, but
always seems to feel bad about it in an almost dog-like way and it doesn't
repeat for a very long time, and only then when I get new and interesting
flowers.

--Katrina

---