Old 26-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Amberbock

Default Cross-country move with plants?

Once I know how many I will leave behind, friends will have first
dibs. After that, I want to give them to local people -- I really
don't want to try to ship them, except as a last resort. My original
offer was thoughtlessly worded, and didn't make that clear.

I had a concern with moving plants when we moved up to Concord, NC from
Tampa Florida.
The "moving company" said I had to get a "certificate" that the plants were
ok to move. After calling around.. I found out that in MY area.. they were
concerned about RED ANTS. They didn't want any in NC. Someone came to look
at the plants and the Potted ones were ok to travel. I was not to dig any
up. Which was ok. But it ended up that I had SO many plants anyway.... I
couldn't take them all.

We were still packing the truck the night before....to leave the next
day.....and we discovered there wasn't room in the moving van or cars to
take all the plants. So in the dead night, i was putting plants on
neighbors front porches. [g] I hated leaving them too! I had to leave my 15
foot potted ficus [inside plant] for the new home-owner. I just tied a
ribbon on it and left it for her a a house warming gift. I dragged my huge
potted fish-tail fern down the block to a good home too. Good thing the pot
had wheels.
Dorothy