Old 26-07-2003, 06:32 PM
MLEBLANCA

Default Cross-country move with plants?

In article , Hope Munro Smith
writes:

Oh heavens, I was only joking! I've been going all over my plants
for bugs, I don't see any on the ones I want to take.

Hope I know You were joking, but there are many out there who do just
that. The inspectors are very good at detecting fibbers and I have seen
many of them along side the auto lanes unloading completely everything
that is in the trunk, trailer, motorhome etc.!!! All spread out in the parking
area.

Have you also checked the soil and roots. It is not just "bugs" but soil borne
disease/fungi/ larvae/grubs. What you could possibly do is remove the
plants from the pots and remove all soil so that they are bare root prior
to the inspection area. Why not just call the n umber and ask about that.
It may also be that they would not be interested in indoor orchids; they
may not harbor anything they would be checking for. ASK.

Are you driving a refrigerated truck? Plants are not going to enjoy being
boxed in a stifling hot truck in 100 PLUs degree weather, which is what
we are having or are you moving in winter?
When I returned to Calif I had 50 or more houseplants, which I gave away.
It was just too much bother. And I knew that I would have so many outside
plants that there would be no time to fuss with indoor ones. :^)
Besides we do have great places to buy houseplants here in Calif. !!

Anyways, welcome to your new home.
Emilie
Also in the Central Valley, but way up north........