Old 26-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Alan Gould

Default Runner beans

In article , Ron
writes
Urglers,

There's been lots of guff written on and off the subject BUT hardly anybody
has told me of a runner bean with tons of flavour.

P L E A S E stop waffling and give me your recommendation.

Flavour depends more upon plant management than variety. We grow ours on
good healthy soil, following brassicas without any added nutrients. We
only water them if there is a drought. That way they grow more slowly,
thus they have more opportunity to develop good flavour at an early
stage while they are still tender. [We have not had them with waffles,
but it's an idea worth trying.]

We consider that big knobbly pods with hardening bean-seeds in them are
only fit for the compost heap. We are picking, eating and freezing young
runner beans every day at present. I can't tell you the variety, we save
our own seed each year and it's a long time since we bought new ones.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.