Old 30-01-2003, 01:29 AM
zxcvbob

Default Commie tomatoes

Pat Meadows wrote:

Our summers are also very short, and can be hot. The nights
however cool off.

Our last killing frost can be mid-June - the first killing
frost is the first week in October or last week in
September. There have actually been frosts in July and
August here but those are quite unusual.

Our tomatoes ripened in September last summer, and the first
frost was the first week in October - it really wasn't worth
bothering with them at all last year, we got so few. I had
planted them in WallsoWater too to give them a good start in
the cool spring....didn't seem to help much.

I'm thinking to try Early Girl this year. Anyone have any
recommendations? Ideas?

Pat

I usually get lots of green tomatoes right away, then they take forever
to ripen. I was impressed with Principe Borghese last year. They are
small, like a pullet egg, but they tasted good and most importantly they
ripened quickly.

You might want to try Quick Pick VFFNTA (not sure that's the right list
of disease initials). I've grown them for years here and in Texas and
they always did pretty well. They are a mid-sized round tomato. I've
run out of seeds, and instead of buying more I wanna try some more
interesting tomatoes. But I recommend you plant a couple of Quick Picks
and see how you like 'em.

Best regards,
Bob