Old 26-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Jim Carter

Default Kill Ants Organically?

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 15:13:03 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge
wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

In article ,
Repeating Decimal wrote:

in article , Pat Meadows at
wrote on 6/5/03 4:33 AM:

I don't like to use fish emulsion in the house as it smells,
plus I believe it would encourage the cat to dig up the
plant.

Aside from the smell, I think that it is unethical to use a perfectly good
source of edible protein (fish) in a protein short world to feed plants. The
plants can do just as well using nitrogen fixed by legumes.

Fish emulsion is not edible.

Fish emulsion is made from a type of fish called "menhaden". Interesting
stuff. You can read all about it at
http://www.menhaden.org/ . Here is a
snippet from that site:

The Atlantic menhaden fishery is probably America's oldest business. When the
first colonists arrived in New England, the local Indians showed them how to
fertilize their crops with menhaden caught close to shore. Over the years, the
fishery grew from its use as an agricultural fertilizer to a source of oil for
lamps and then to animal feed supplements.

The menhaden is a remarkable citizen of the sea. Inedible to humans because of
its bones, it provides forage for a number of other fish species.

End quote.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a