Old 26-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Mike

Default Irritating Neighbour's Water Feature

In article , PJ
writes
Hi

I have a notion that a newsgroup for neighbour issues would be rather useful
as I see so many coming up here

My neighbour issue is extremely minor indeed really but I'm wondering what
the situation is in law or whatever.

My neighbour has a little waterfall in their pond. I think it's great that
they have a pond, but the problem is the little waterfall which makes a most
irritating noise 24 hours a day. It sounds a bit like gutter which is
overflowing or something, it really doesn't sound like a waterfall at all.

Oddly enough the problem is greatest at night because it is so quiet at night
that the sound of the "waterfall" is really loud. I actually rather enjoy
toodling around in my garage at night and it's a nuisance having this sound
at night.

What I have considered is suggesting to them that they turn it off at night.
I don't mind it so much during the day because my area is not particularly
quiet so it sort of blends in with the general background noise more.

The problem is that I anticipate they will tell me "where to go" if I request
this as that does tend to be their style rather...

So if they refuse to turn if off at night is there anything that can be done
about it?

When I lived in Leicester, I had a church right next door. The back door
to the church room was alongside our house. They had lots of activities
at the church room, every night of the week something was on, Boys
Brigade, Woman's Institute, Guides, Brownies, Cubs, Scouts and on this
back door they had a self closing length of rubber. Open the door, nip
in, door closes itself BANG, someone else goes through BANG, the next
person BANG.

A quick visit and a quiet word to the organiser, church official, Scout
Master, Brownie Leader as their people were going through the door and
letting it go BANG, BANG, BANG soon had the rubber taken off and
instructions to all to close the door quietly.

Go and visit your neighbour and ASK :-))
"Management is nothing more than motivating other people"
Lee Iacocca