Old 26-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Kay Lancaster

Default "Temporary" grass

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:47:55 -0400, GIJane wrote:
Bottom line, I don't want to plant a grass that will put me back to the
original extremely hard work of removing grass to plant the final item. But
need something to cover over the next year or two to keep it from becoming a
muddy, weedy mess. Thanks

You don't say where you are, but I'd suggest annual cover crops... buckwheat
is one that immediately springs to mind. You'll have to replant several
times, depending on how long your project takes, but you'll be holding the
soil and improving the soil at the same time.

More on buckwheat in particular:
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...oryType=garden
Buckwheat photos: http://www.sarep.ucdavis.edu/cgi-bin...XE/show_imgs_9
http://www.ngirl.ars.usda.gov/farm/buckwheat.html

I can typically pick up buckwheat seed locally for about $0.50-$0.75 lb;
seeding rate is about 3 lbs per thousand square feet for a good solid stand.

Some other possibilities: http://www.outsidepride.com/covercrop.asp
http://www.groworganic.com/
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/covercrop.html
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/cabarrus/sta...overcrop1.html