Old 27-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Jeff Coles

Default New Lawn on clay

When you say chippings, I assume you mean stone chippings?

This is a personal thought, not based on any gardening knowledge I hasten
to add , but I would imagine stone chippings would "migrate" to the surface
in time thus causing avoc with the mower.
Top soil sounds the best option to me. Maybe the aplication of lime to break
down the clay? Although this would have to be done some months before
turfing.

Jeff.

"M Smith" wrote in message
Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I've recently levelled my garden
(best I can) as I live on a hill. All I'm left with now is hard uneven

clay
and I want to put turf down. I've had advised to level the clay with
chipping which will also provide drainage, but I've also been told not to
use chippings but to use top soil. I've no idea which to use, can anyone
help?

Thanks in advance

Mike