Old 27-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Fudge

Default Tomatoes and Squirrels

Lead (.22 cal) or a rat trap baited with sunflower seeds sprinkled over
the trigger. (Put the baited rat trap inside a plastic bucket so birds will
not be attracted) The little *******s seem to eat just enough of a tomato to
destroy it and then move on to the next. Encourage weasels and large snakes
or anything that dines on squirrels. Apparently they are good to eat.

Farmer John
(Death to the Rats!!!)

"Andrew McMichael" wrote in message
Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote:

In article ,
"Mile High" wrote:

Any suggestions for deterring squirrels from eating my beautiful

tomatoes?

Shoot them before you go to work (unless you are prohibited of course).

If you use a BB/pellet gun, most everywhere in the US allows this as a

removal
of a nuisance creature. Check with your local law enforcement, to be sure,

but
emphasize that the animals are destroying property and that you plan to

shoot
them with an air gun. The main problem you may have is that many people

hunt
squirrels for food, and so their is an established hunting season for the
creatures.

If you do decide to shoot them [and I've been doing it on an off for

years],
get a BB gun that can shoot at a high velocity, use flat-head pellets, and
practice before you go out to shoot them. Squirrels are tough creatures,

and
it isn't easy to kill them with a single shot from a BB gun. If you hit

them
anywhere behind the front legs, they'll likely run away and suffer.

Hitting
them in the head or in front of the legs with a BB also won't ensure a

quick
kill. A flat-head pellet to the chest or head will knock them down, and

you
can finish them with another shot if necessary. I'm a pretty dead shot

with my
BB gun, and can knock a squirrel down anywhere out to about 50 yards. But

always use the pellets, and won't shoot if I can't hit the head.

Andrew