Old 27-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Joel Downey

Default Question about beetles and grubs

I've read that as well, and here is my take on it:

I had peach trees defoliated for four years until last year. I put up two
traps, and had great peaches. Did it again this year with the same results.
I guess I don't care how many beetles I have in my yard, as long as they are
not attacking the peaches. As far as drawing them in.... My neighbors plum
tree was completely defoliated while being about 90 feet away from one on my
traps. That doesn't sound like the trap attracted the beetles from his tree
to my trap. Now I have great peaches and he has a tree with no leaves or
fruit.

If you don't have a beetle problem, don't put up traps. If you don't have a
problem, more than likely, there is nothing in your yard the beetles find
attractive, or they can't find it. Don't give them any reason to drop by
for a visit. If you do have a problem, traps may be the most effective way
to control adults. For me there is no doubt in my mind. The defoliated
years I sprayed with Malathion about twice a week without succsess.
However, grub treatment, as discussed in the other messages in this thread
is also important. The only problem is that you probably won't want to
treat your neighbors yard.

Check out this website:

http://home.insightbb.com/~downeyjf

It's mine, and yes I am selling something. However, take a look at some of
the pictures and read the text of what I've seen this year, and decide for
yourself what the truth is concerning drawing beetles to traps. I have two
instances I've seen in the past three weeks where beetles that were within
100 feet of traps and continued to stay put and keep munching. To me, that
debunks the whole "they draw beetles from everywhere" theory. Unless
"everywhere" is within about 80 feet of the trap.

Joel
wrote in message

THROW AWAY that jap beetle attractor, please!

Why?
My Lindens were covered with beetles, and the attractor got them off
of it.

Did they get a last meal from it before they went in the bag? They've
been proved to draw more beetles into your yard, than you ever would
of had without the gimmick.

--
GO# 40