Old 27-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Sterilising pots?

Les: Just for clarification, when you say 10%, do you mean 1:9 ratio of standard bleach (like Clorox) or 10% solution of the
bleach ingredient (sodium hypochlorite)? I believe the last time I looked that Clorox is only 5% sodium hypochlorite, so a
10% solution would mean double the strength of standard household bleach.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://bonsai-bci.com
===============
On Wed, 23 July 2003 23:01:27 -0400, Nicolas Steenhout wrote:
Sooo, my plan is to soak the pots in a solution of 1 oz bleach per gallon of
water, for 10 minutes, then air dry. This is what I would do for mead and
beer brewing (though for brewing I'd rinse in a lots of clear water before
drying).
Thoughts?
Nicolas
========
Les Dowdell wrote:
Nic,
A 10% bleach solution is often recommended for sterilizing cutting boards after cutting up raw chicken or other
meats so it should work for sterilizing your pots. Of course there is no guarantee that bleach will kill every kind of
organism but it is effective against the majority of bacteria. Another sterilant is a strong ethanol solution. In our lab
we use 70% ethanol to sterilize against molds and bacteria. It may be a non-standard use for vodka (whatever its
EtOH content), but it should work as well.
Best wishes in bonsai,
Les Dowdell
who only uses ethanol as a sterilant.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++