Old 27-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Alan Gould

Default re Runner Beans.

In article , Rusty Hinge
writes

That is a perfectly acceptable way of freezing runner beans. Our way is
somewhat simpler though. We pick the beans quite young and tender, well
before any stringiness is forming. We top and tail them, slice them,
pack them flat into freezer bags and pop them into the freezer within
minutes of picking. They come out almost as crisp and tasty as they went
in and they are easily separated in the bag if only a small quantity are
required. We have done that for many years with excellent results.

I have always understood that not blanching veg before freezing can be
dangerous.

Freezing food can be dangerous with or without blanching, there are a
lot of other factors which can affect the safety and quality of food.
The most important thing in relation to garden crops is to prevent
deterioration by build up of bacteria or enzymes. We do that by
selecting out any poor looking goods and by preparing and freezing them
immediately after picking.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.